Thursday, February 15, 2007

Crows' feet.

Notes from Our Pal's Pal's blog:



First of all, let's be clear. The man I'm seeing is nineteen and a half years older than I am, not twenty.



Aw hon - it’s not that you’re 25 and dating a 45-year old. It’s that you’re any age and dating that particular 45-year-old. Didn’t you read the Nader screed on him - “Unsafe At Any Age”?



Thirdly, he doesn't like me just because I'm twenty five. This talk is beginning to hurt my feelings.



I’m thinkin’ there must be some part of you that’s enjoying the kerfuffle and comment that’s an essential and inevitable element to a life lived in the public eye. If you don’t wish to inspire comment and contact, then don’t post the details for public consumption. But besides that, of course he likes you. You're intelligent and pretty, and thus he feels wicked fuggin' righteous about his own attractiveness. That's not to take anything away from you - just that Our Pal's blinded by the shiny objects that hold his reflection.



I've already taken custody of a minor, been orphaned, been around the world, been engaged, been published, been sued, and already have wee crow's feet. I don't have shit but myself to rely on - I am my only, only home and safety net, and I'm good at it - and not even very many thirty-six year olds can say that.




That's good. You'll be fine - after. Him - he couldn't play the violin before he broke his arm. No reason he'll start after the cast comes off. You know - metaphorically speaking and all.


Have some chicken soup and a nap. Life will seem nicer.

5 comments:

Francesca said...

That I am twenty five and he is forty five is no detail - it's a broad and sweeping generality ripe for all kinds of ridiculous conjecture. Rather, I find that posting the details heads off the stereotypes that, as stereotypes and generalities often do, sting a little. The kerfluffle is interesting, but certainly not anything to hang one's hat on. I'm mostly enjoying talking to women who are a little older than I am. It's a bit of a treat. It doesn't do for a college girl to go up to a 35-year old on the street and say, "Why, you seem put together. Let's talk about tying men up!"

darkstar said...

I don't have a problem with the age difference. I can tell you're intelligent and mature in some ways. In fact the only thing I think you're a bit inexperienced about is picking men. You can do better. I know you did not make yourself public nor did I. Someone on Gawker did and in hindsight maybe that wasn't great. I hate myself for wanting you to be under the radar because it would take away from my entertainment. But any association with this guy in the public eye has the potential to diminish your value. That's not right, but in some circles it may be a consideration. Again, I don't have a problem with the age difference but people seem to be keeping that in the forefront to the neglect of other issues. They should focus on Eric not his age.

Go get you another 45-year-old, one who is together and deserves you. One who is at least 35 years mature. They're out there. Just make sure he isn't an English professor or any kind of academic--those are worse than Eric!

I say this because I think you are drawn to older guys. Fine! I don't want you to mistake a 45-year-old doofus for a 45-year-old good guy. Go get a 45-year-old good guy and knock yourself out. By the time you are 30 you will be even more
wonderful whether you are still with the good older guy or not. Don't throw your youth away on a doofus though. Eric's getting to hide his doofusness behind the fact that a lot of people screech over the age difference and he gets to screech back over that. Meanwhile behind the age differenct smokescreen, he's still a doofus.

Miss A. Thropic said...

M'dear - I'm 34, married (to a 40-year-old man, for the record), have my shit together, and tie people up for cash and whim. Even if I think your gent is a twit, you seem like quality people.

Drop a note if you wish.

verite said...

Yes, he is still single on myspace.And now he has actually taking away the paragraph explaining that he's dating someone. Their understanding apparently is that he can fuck whomever he wants while she must remain faithful. Francesca is so smart, such a talented writer, absolutely lovely to look at, evidently a total survivor and clearly has friends who adore her...but she is allowing this vividly unfair emotional dynamic to continue. God knows I used to pick terribly unworthy people to fall in love with too, but it just kills me to watch someone else do it while hordes of us are screaming "NOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

Unknown said...

Hey everybody! Lets discuss this age issue with a profession....I think you'd all love to talk to Eric Schaeffer, the love expert, himself at www.paltalk.com/ericschaeffer. This great website holds live interactive chat shows. There are a variety of hosts, but two of them are relationship experts and you go log on and ask them any question and get great advice. Schaeffer is extremely comical. His show is at 6pm EST on Wednesdays at www.paltalk.com/ericschaeffer. Hope you find it useful! I sure did :)